Thursday, November 15, 2007

Let's hear it for the Honkers!

Lakeview High School (Ore.) recently beat Chiloquin, 48-6, to win the school's first league football title in 30 years.
Lakeview beat Knappa in the first round of Oregon's Class 2A playoffs and faces Oakridge in the second round this coming Saturday.
I covered the team, called the Honkers after the prevalence of geese in the area, for about five-and-a-half years, about a decade ago.
Lakeview played hard in those days, but always struggled as the smallest school in their Class 3A conference.
"Getting moved down to 2A two years ago has made a big difference for us," Principal Bob Nash said in an e-mail I received yesterday.
Nash was "Coach Nash" of the football team when I covered the school. The current head coach is Lane Stratton.
Nash said Lakeview finished state runners-up in baseball two years ago and the school has a girl who has won the state cross-country title the past two years.
"Not only is school spirit up, but the whole community is much more focused on the school," Nash said. "It has been very nice."
I knew some of the kids on the current football team. I say "kids," because they were 5, 6 and 7 years old at the time I knew them. Cole Damuth is playing high school football? How is that possible? In my mind, he's just a little kid.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

My wife Maggie is a Freeport (IL) Pretzel.

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home