Sunday, August 12, 2007

van Persie scores and Frank Howard sings

Oh dear. I wasn't intending to watch the 6 a.m. Premier League match this morning. I had hoped to sleep in a bit. Our cat Lorelie had other ideas, apparently. She woke me up better than any alarm clock at 5:25 a.m. She alternated between biting my toes and licking my hair (ewww!) while walking all over me.
Oh well. The match was fantastic. David Healy scored a goal in the first minute for visiting Fulham -- following an absolutely shocking mistake by Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann. The Gunners seemed doomed to defeat when Robin van Persie (on a penalty) and Alexandre Hleb scored in the final seven minutes to rally for the 2-1 victory.

Buoyed by that spectacle -- and utterly relieved to hear my great uncle is recovering nicely from a broken neck -- I had a definite spring in my step during a half-hour walk following the match.
I listened to the "Night Train to Nashville" compilation of classic Music City R&B.
Frank Howard & The Commanders often played with pre-fame Jimi Hendrix in Tennessee juke joints. On 1964's "Just Like Him," the group produced a ballad that simply soars.
It definitely matched my mood on the walk.
So... thanks to the pre-dawn antics of a cat, I have enjoyed a thrilling soccer match, an invigorating walk and a memorable song -- all before any of my other family members have stirred from their own slumbers.
Oh yeah... and now Lorelie is napping -- the little bugger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home