Sunday, February 19, 2006

Rockabilly chili

We hosted the annual Telegraph Herald Chili Cookoff tonight and our entry finished a credible second (out of five). Hats off to Jim Swenson. His winning entry included some type of sliced sausage.
I tried my hand at authentic Texas chili. It featured chunks of steak, beef broth, diced green chiles, chili powder, garlic, cumin... and that was it. Simplistic. Powerful.
I listened to some vintage rockabilly as I made the chili this morning.
I absolutely adore the song "Sunglasses After Dark" by Dwight Pullen. Simplistic. Powerful.
Like all classic early rock-n-roll tunes, "Sunglasses After Dark" exudes the thrill of musical discovery. You listen to this infectious tune, and you can feel the excitement of the musicians, as they blazed a trail. This aspect of the music makes it positively exhilarating to me!
Pullen originally came from Alabama, but moved with his family to Pittsburg, Calif. That's not far from where I grew up in Concord, Calif. Contra Costa County rarely registers when people talk about rockabilly bastions. Pullen formed his first band in California, but then the family moved back to Alabama but Pullen ended up in military service in Anchorage, Alaska. He also lived in Nashville and various other locales, including Medford, Ore. -- my late father's hometown.
Pullen died of cancer age 31 in 1961. He never realized his "Sunglasses After Dark" would become a revered example of rockabilly... or the inspiration behind my second-place chili. Thanks Dwight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home