Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Aussie punk and The Phantom

I need to take my daughter Kerstin to the doctor's office this morning -- she is complaining of a sore ear.
While I wait I am listening to some Australian punk circa 1978-79 and reading an illustrated history of comic strips that I checked out from the library.
The Aussie bands include The Victims and Fun Things, both of whom supplied members to Hoodoo Gurus. There are also some largely forgotten Brisbane bands such as Razar, Just Urbain and the Leftovers. It's interesting to hear how they translated what they heard coming out of England into a Queensland punk experience. What do you sing about when you live in a sunny paradise?
The comic history is quite interesting. I read today about Lee Falk and Ray Moore's "The Phantom." He looked mysterious with his little black mask and purple body suit.
For some reason, "The Phantom" resonated all over the world. Falk and Moore's creation has been translated into numerous languages.
There is one other thing I am doing this morning: Nervously glancing out the window, waiting for a "potentially significant" winter storm to plow into the area.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home