Saturday, March 24, 2012

Reggae comforts after mishaps

REGGAE has always been my comfort music, especially the soulfully sung rock steady and bouncy ska of the 1960s.
I needed such comfort yesterday, following a pair of rather painful mishaps.
We're minding my father-in-law's big black lab, REBEL, while Jill's dad is away this weekend.
I went to let the dog out early yesterday and Rebel bolted through the door while I clung to his collar. Rebel dragged me down some wet back steps and onto the sidewalk, skinning and bruising my knees.
Later, we were helping my visiting brother-in-law cut a new kitchen counter top when I attempted to sit in a metal lawn chair.
The chair was broken and I slipped through, scratching my hands.
"JOE GIBBS: SCORCHERS FROM THE EARLY YEARS (1967-73)" helped heal the aftermath of those mishaps.
Gibbs was one of the most influential producers of early reggae, and this collection of his tunes contains work by some of my favorites -- The Heptones, Nicky Thomas and Stranger & Gladdy.
It also includes NORA DEAN'S shockingly R-rated paean to sexual activity, "WRECK A BUDDY." Credited to The Soul Sisters, the 1969 song features Dean seeking a man for purely physical gratification, all sung to a tune reminiscent of "Little Drummer Boy."
The song didn't heal the scrapes on my knees, but certainly made me smile, and that's a medicine in itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home