Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Subterranean memories of The Cure

THE CURE, Foo Fighters and Kasabian will headline this summer's Reading and Leeds festivals in Britain.
The Cure will be performing at Reading for the first time in 33 years.
The news brought back memories of underground sounds --literally -- for me.
Here's my Cure story.
My first work-study job in COLLEGE required that I sweep dust and debris from the subterranean pedestrian passages linking campus buildings.
The task earned me both an endearing nickname -- "TUNNELMAN" -- and an enduring appreciation for the music that accompanied my melancholy custodial work.
The Cure's double cassette, "CONCERT AND CURIOSITY," provided such accompaniment.
A combination of The Cure live in 1984 and band rarities from 1977-84, the cassette's music represented the lovably dreary Cure, not the lighthearted Cure of "Let's Go to Bed" or "The Love Cats."
It's woe-is-me vibe perfectly matched my mood while sweeping through the darkness of those tunnels.
Although the cassette has long since worn out, I can't bear to part with it. I haven't found the album on iTunes, either, so its music remains a cherished memory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home