Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Soccer interest made in Germany

While I watched BAYERN MÜNCHEN'S 7-0 demolition of F.C. BASEL in the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE on television last night, I recalled my introduction to televised soccer, all those years ago.
SOCCER MADE IN GERMANY was a weekly show on PBS that aired hour-long, edited highlights from the BUNDESLIGA, hosted by the play-by-play announcer TOBY CHARLES.
I watched it religiously, particularly during the 1977-78 season.
Bayern were uncharacteristically poor that season, finishing below mid-table in 12th.
Instead, the top of the table featured a battle between eventual winners 1.FC KÖLN and BORUSSIA MÖNCHENGLADBACH.
I cheered for 'Gladbach as I watched highlights of their encounters with Eintract Frankfurt, 1.FC Kaiserslautern, Hamburger SV and the other exotic-sounding clubs that became household names, at least in my household.
The TV show helped spark an interest in the game that has endured for decades -- to the days when I can watch live matches from around the globe, not just a Germanic corner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home