Friday, February 17, 2012

Good readin' the Friday Question way

Here at ROUTE 1, we have decided that since the eye doctor gave us prescription reading glasses, we might as well use them.
Besides, the frames are based on NERDY 50s JAZZ PIANIST EYE WEAR. How cool is that?
That leads us to this week's FRIDAY QUESTION, the perennial favorite:
"Read any good books lately?"
BEKAH P. -- I recently read the "Hunger Games" trilogy. It took me all of one weekend to finish all three books: that's how addictive they were! That being said, they weren't the most literary selection, so now I'm nursing my brain with David McCullough's Pulitzer-winning biography of John Adams. It's part of my (relatively recent) decision to read a biography of every President. Alas, I've only finished one about George Washington, but in fairness, that's a pretty big one.
BRIAN C. -- "Sweetness," the biography of the late football star Walter Payton, by Jeff Pearlman. Excellent book, but it shows how complicated (and hypocritical) lives can be. "Unbroken," by Laura Hillenbrand. Young track star becomes WWII pilot and somehow survives unspeakable ordeals. It's non-fiction that no novelist would have the imagination to concoct.
KERI M. -- "Committed" by Elizabeth Gilbert.
RICK T. -- No, but I'm sure there's one out there I should be reading today! Hello from a sunny Florida!
BRIAN M. -- I just finished (about three years after the rest of the planet) "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo". I enjoyed it... I've been wanting to see the movie, but I just haven't gotten around to it. I want to read the other books in the series.
MIKE M. -- I’ve been on a Richard Pike Bissell reading jag, lately, the Dubuquer of “Pajama Game” fame. Blurbs from pocket editions of Bissell’s first novel, "A Stretch on the River," proclaimed it to be “Tough, Boisterous, Uninhibited” and “Rowdy, Racy, Riotous,” though a Dubuque grand jury declined to make any indictments after they scrutinized the book in a 1951 obscenity probe initiated by Auleen Eberhardt’s Catholic Mother’s Study Club.
SANDYE V. -- Lately, I have been savoring a long arm-chair travel book, "1,000 Places to See Before You Die." I found that travel books are great light reading for when I don't have time to get sucked into a page-turner (or in the case of Kindle reading, a tab pusher.)
ANNIKA H. -- "The Hunger Games."
MIKE D. -- "Incredible Fishing Stories," by Shaun Morey. It was given to me last
spring by the widow of my 92-year-old neighbor, who passed away months
earlier. She thought I might appreciate it. I did.
ERIK H. -- I've spent so much time inside the pages of "Got, Not Got: The A-Z of Lost Football Culture, Treasures & Pleasures" the outside binding is beginning to tear. I only received the book at Christmas. English football supporters and journalists Derek Hammond and Gary Silke collect and present the soccer treasures of their youth -- a time before the sport became so commercialized and moneyed. I have been astounded to find that many of the cards, books, pennants, scarves and other items they saved were the same types of items I saved on the other side of the Atlantic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home