Thursday, September 08, 2011

Praising a real classic

The music of BOZ SCAGGS seemed to float through the background of my CALIFORNIA childhood.
It always seemed to be there, but I scarcely paid it the attention I now understand it deserved.
I'm listening to Scaggs' wonderful 1972 album "MY TIME" in the car today. It's the perfect accompaniment for a day with blue skies and warm-but-not-humid temperatures.
The album opens with a quartet of stunning songs: the irresistibly catchy single "Dinah Flo," the country rock ballad "Slowly in the West," the rocking "Full-Lock Power Slide" and a soulful (could it be anything else?) cover of the AL GREEN song "Old Time Lovin'."
Toss in a cover of ALLEN TOUSSAINT'S "Freedom for the Stallion," and "My Time" becomes a truly classic album.
Scaggs would score big hits later in the decade -- and I love "SILK DEGREES" -- but "My Time" is my favorite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home