Friday, September 02, 2011

New food? Was it good?

Is a question still "a question" if you are stringing along essentially three questions and simply placing a question mark at the end?
Perhaps that query will be answered next week. This week, ROUTE 1 readers respond to what looks suspiciously like a three-part enquiry by answering the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"When was the last time you tried a new food, what was it and how did you like it?"
BRIAN M. -- This clearly won't be as exotic as others' "new food," but I tried smoked oysters for the first time last Christmas. I was skeptical, but these were flavorful and chewable.
ANNIKA H. -- Last night I tried spaghetti squash and i liked it.
KERI M. -- I tried fried baked bannock on Friday and loved it!
BEKAH P. -- Well, the most recent food venture is thanks to you, Mr. Route 1. You posted a picture on Facebook of toasted ravioli, and about two days later, I was at this restaurant and saw they served those as an appetizer, and I ordered. Yum. But on the whole, since moving from the Midwest to a coastal state, I've been trying more fish. I've since had shark, squid, alligator and various versions of crabs and oysters. My reaction? Well, let's just put it this way: I miss good ol' Iowa pigs and cows.
INGER H. -- Probably the last time I tried anything completely new was when I had uni (sea urchin). I had heard that it was the kind of thing that you either really liked or found completely disgusting. I liked it. Similar to oysters, it tastes like the sea. Not seawater, but a kind of summation of everything in the ocean.
SANDYE V. -- I had a vegetarian egg roll at Taste of Dubuque and it was excellent!
MARY N.-P. -- Actually it was just two days ago when a woman bought cucumbers from us at the Bellevue Farmers Market and we asked what she was going to make with them. She peels and slices them, then mixes them with a little mayo, garlic and curry powder. It sounded great to us, so we mixed up a batch when we got home and it's a new favorite around our house.
ERIK H. -- I had never tried spaghetti squash until we made it for dinner the other night. After baking the large squash, you scrape the insides out and the flesh of the squash becomes stringy like its namesake noodles. You serve it with a marinara sauce, and it is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home