Tuesday, August 23, 2011

'Made in the Shade' on a rainy morning

I work a later shift, so I'm tinkering with playlists on the iPod while rain falls outside.
I replicated THE ROLLING STONES compilation "MADE IN SHADE," culling the songs from the albums from the MICK TAYLOR era -- my favorite time period for the band.
The collection of "Brown Sugar," "Tumbling Dice," "Happy," "Dance Little Sister," "Wild Horses," "Angie," "Bitch," "It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like it)," "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)" and "Rip This Joint" marks Taylor's farewell from the band. It also served as a general high-water mark of the band's output.
Writing in ROLLING STONE magazine at the time, Stephen Davis said the 1975 compilation "reaffirms the Rolling Stones' role as rock's best and most consistent band."
All but the band's most fervent supporters would agree that consistency dropped in succeeding years.
It's a compilation -- and now an iPod playlist -- that reminds me of my youth. These songs inhabited the classic-rock radio world of my early days, before I became gripped by alternative rock and other genres.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home