Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Aussie sports from a simpler time

Today's bomb scare involving the teenage girl in Mosman, in suburban SYDNEY, triggered memories of my trip to AUSTRALIA.
Warmed by those memories, I am relaxing tonight by reading a heavy book I lugged back from Down Under -- "THE HISTORY OF THE RUGBY LEAGUE CLUBS."
It was so worth the extra weight in my suitcase. I turn to this marvelous book time and again to learn more about the sport that captivates New South Wales and Queensland.
Tonight, I'm reading about the 1938 Grand Final victory by CANTERBURY-BANKSTOWN, only the fourth season of the club's existence.
The Berries, as they were known then (they are the Bulldogs now) faced EASTERN SUBURBS, who were aiming for a fourth successive title.
Canterbury's Joe Gartner provided the two tries that sealed Canterbury's 19-6 victory. Jim Duncombe also crossed the line for Canterbury. It's fun reading about a competition that at that time only had eight clubs, no salary cap breaches to sully the sport, and no media magnates dictating league operations. I wish I could go back in time to watch a match back then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home