Tuesday, July 26, 2011

"Aftermath" on Mick's 68th birthday

Thanks to ROUTE 1 reader GARY D., I am listening to "AFTERMATH" by THE ROLLING STONES on MICK JAGGER'S 68th birthday.
Sixty eight? Take that, "27 CLUB."
I am listening to the British version of the 1966 album. It opens with the marvelous "Mother's Little Helper" before the catchy but misogynist "Stupid Girl."
BRIAN JONES (a founding member of the aforementioned 27 Club) expands the band's sound on this wonderful album, playing marimbas on "Under My Thumb," a dulcimer on "Lady Jane" and (the underrated) "I am Waiting" and harmonica on a couple of tracks.
I wonder how the Stones' history would have been different if Jones could have kicked his substance abuse problems, instead of ending up floating in a swimming pool.
Well, happy birthday Mick. You and Keith are two of rock's ultimate survivors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home