Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Marking the demise of Borders

BORDERS BOOKS is going out of business, closing all of its remaining stores. I prefer independent bookstores, but I did rely on Borders for my occasional purchases of British music magazines and certain movies and jazz albums.
I'll also grieve the passing of the Borders in DUBUQUE for a journalism reason. KERSTIN accompanied me to our local Borders in 2009 to cover the release party of the first "TWILIGHT" DVD. She wrote a column that accompanied my story on the front page of the newspaper, and it made me prouder than seeing any of my stories in print.
While pundits point to Borders' demise as a tipping point for the arrival of the digital age, I remember buying beloved foreign film DVDs, jazz CDs and baseball preview magazines when their content provided the only hint that spring would finally emerge from months of bleak winter.
I am a little sad about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home