Sunday, July 10, 2011

Deaf forever, thanks to Würzel

"Deaf Forever," "Orgasmatron," "The One to Sing the Blues" -- I'm sipping coffee and listening to some of the MOTÖRHEAD classics that featured the guitarist WÜRZEL (pictured, far left), who died yesterday age 61.
I've always liked Motörhead -- close your eyes, and you can convince yourself they were one of the first-generation punk acts, such was their energy. Their ideology wasn't far away, either -- have you ever heard the song, "Eat the Rich?"
Würzel (known as Michael Burston to his family) arrived on the Motörhead at an important juncture for the band. Ace guitarist Brian Robertson had just left.
Motörhead leader LEMMY auditioned potential members, and liked two -- Würzel and Phil Campbell.
"I got them to play together and they seemed to fit, so I thought, 'Why not? I'll keep them both," Lemmy said at the time.
Fans of loud, fast and aggressive -- did I mention fun? -- music are glad that he did, and are saddened by Würzel's passing.