Friday, July 01, 2011

Troublesome toils

On the eve of a long weekend for many of us, ROUTE 1 readers take a break from our toils to answer the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What is the hardest or most difficult work you've ever done?"
RICK T. -- When I was in Junior High School the City of Dubuque had summer jobs for kids. It was cutting down trees and swamp grass on 16th Street City Island. They were making clear of the land for what is now Miller Park Camp Grounds. Lot of hard work.
BEKAH P. -- There is nothing on the face of this planet more difficult than picking up the phone, calling the family of someone who just died in some tragic way, and then asking if they want to talk with you so you can write a story about their feelings. Seriously, it sucks, and reporters don't get paid nearly enough to do that sort of work.
BRIAN M. -- The hardest, in a physical sense, work I've done was when I was on an Oregon Department of Transportation Litter Patrol between my freshman and sophomore years in college. A lot of walking, in the hot Southern Oregon sun, just beyond the guardrail from the rushing traffic on Interstate 5, anywhere from Mount Sexton to Rogue River. The most difficult job I've ever had was when I worked for the Oregon Justice Department as a court clerk in Jefferson County (Madras) in 2006. Every day, I felt like there was potential to screw up something really badly, beyond my best efforts.
SANDYE V. -- Twice I quit jobs after one day because they were so awful. One was selling ads for a shopper and the other was working in a call center (such a long time ago that it was a rotary phone!) but really, the hardest and most difficult work I've ever done was raising four kids.
JIM S. -- Harvesting tobacco - in August, in south central Wisconsin. At least I sweat more doing this than anything else I've ever done. From bending over and chopping the plants down with an ax on a muggy morning to piling the heavy suckers into piles in the hot afternoon sun to hanging them up high in a dusty tobacco shed, this was very tough. Glad I experienced it.
SASKIA M. -- Working as a customer service manager in retail and responding polite and calm to rude and loud customers.
ERIK H. -- Although nothing makes me as nauseous as remembering my days behind the cash register of a small retail outlet, I at least stuck it out at that job. I once quit a job after one day. It was when I worked for the mailroom at Lucasfilm's Skywalker Ranch and I almost crashed the company van into George Lucas' BMW. Yeah, that would not have been good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home