Sunday, June 26, 2011

Like Rod fronting Led Zep

The animals had me up early today -- again -- so I decided to add some JEFF BECK GROUP songs to my mammoth ROD STEWART playlist.
Stewart and RON WOOD played with Beck before leaving to form the FACES.
Rather than sounding like that latter band, though, these songs suggest what Stewart might have sounded like had he fronted LED ZEPPELIN.
Beck and JIMMY PAGE were teenage friends, early collaborators and kindred musical spirits, and the Jeff Beck Group albums "TRUTH" and "BECK-OLA" were contemporaries to the initial Led Zep offerings.
Heck, both bands even released similar versions of Willie Dixon's "You Shook Me."
I think the Rod-fronted songs "Rock My Plimsoul," "Blues Deluxe," "I Ain't Superstitious," "The Hangman's Knee" and others could have easily slotted into the running orders of Led Zeppelin's first two albums.
If I have to wake up early with the animals, at least I can listen to some superb music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home