Saturday, June 18, 2011

Time for some Hüsker Dü

I work night shift today, and my COLD is in its final, hacking and coughing stages. It seems like the time is right for some HÜSKER DÜ.
I'm listening to "ZEN ARCADE" in the car today, with the speakers turned up just a bit higher than normal.
"On many levels, Hüsker Dü never let anyone catch their breath," wrote MICHAEL AZERRAD in his landmark look at American underground music, "OUR BAND COULD BE YOUR LIFE." "The band's songs were unbroken walls of speed and noise; in concert they played number after number without any breaks in between; they recorded new albums just as the previous one was coming out. The band was in a headlong rush toward a lofty peak, and it was hard not to get swept up in the quest."
The lofty peak in question was something different -- something that differed from the simple hard-and-fast aesthetic common to punk rock.
"Widely hailed albums like 'Zen Arcade,' 'New Day Rising' and 'Flip Your wig' injected other rock traditions into hardcore, crucially advancing the music, widening its audience and playing Hüsker Dü at center stage in American indie rock," Azerrad wrote.
I must admit, I have always preferred THE REPLACEMENTS when choosing between Minneapolis' twin pillars of American indie.
However, today just seems like a good day for Hüsker Dü.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mitchismo said...

My god! You read my mind. And it came out of nowhere. This story is my life. I can't stop listening to Zen Arcade and just commented, before finding your article looking for good Hüsker Dü photos, that it was an album to cure a soul during sick times. And wham. I read this. A Mats fan from the day--late in the day, but still technically 'the day'--I'm only now properly discovering Zen Arcade. And it's really awesomely good.

12:18 AM  
Blogger Mitchismo said...

My god! You read my mind. And it came out of nowhere. This story is my life. I can't stop listening to Zen Arcade and just commented, before finding your article looking for good Hüsker Dü photos, that it was an album to cure a soul during sick times. And wham. I read this. A Mats fan from the day--late in the day, but still technically 'the day'--I'm only now properly discovering Zen Arcade. And it's really awesomely good.

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home