Monday, June 27, 2011

How Dubuque appeared on Aussie radio today

Here is the story of how my voice appeared on the radio in AUSTRALIA today.
It begins yesterday, as I took a break from reading to check TWITTER.
I saw a tweet from TRIPLE M SYDNEY 104.9:
"Tonight its the game of the season - Dragons v Manly on Triple M. Who'll be listening from overseas?"
I responded, telling the radio station that, as I do every Monday morning, I would wake up early so I can listen to their coverage of the match online, even though I live thousands of miles away, in DUBUQUE, IOWA.
About five minutes later, I received a Twitter direct message. Could the radio station call me? They would love to record me for a spot to be broadcast on the pregame show.
Sure.
I grabbed a beer, grabbed my "HISTORY OF RUGBY LEAGUE CLUBS" for inspiration, and sat outside.
About 10 minutes later, the radio station called me on my cellphone.
We chatted for a short while.
I explained how I regularly watched Aussie rugby league when we lived in Oregon, about 15 years ago, and how my trip to SYDNEY last year confirmed my love of the sport.
Then I was prompted to say something like this:
"This is Erik and I'm listening to Monday Night Football from all the way in Dubuque, Iowa, USA on Triple M Sydney 104.9."
The DJ I spoke with thought it was brilliant.
I set my alarm earlier than usual, and woke up this morning to click on the radio station's live stream.
Sure enough, at 3:33 a.m. (CDT), I heard my voice speaking at me from our computer's speakers.
I just laughed. It seems quite surreal.
Well, the MANLY SEA EAGLES have just scored to open the second half, but the visitors still trail ST. GEORGE-ILLAWARRA, 12-6.
I like to think hundreds of Aussies spent halftime looking up "Dubuque, Iowa" in their atlases.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home