Sunday, July 03, 2011

Spotting the Agee in "Night of the Hunter"

Having read more than half of "LET US NOW PRAISE FAMOUS MEN," the landmark Depression study featuring the poetic prose of JAMES AGEE, I thought it was a good idea to watch "THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER."
CHARLES LAUGHTON'S 1955 film stars ROBERT MITCHUM -- in arguably his finest role -- as a serial murdered posing as a preacher, pursuing a pair of children for hidden bank robbery proceeds.
Agee wrote the screenplay based on a DAVIS GRUBB novel. My experience with "Let Us Now Praise Famous Men" helped me identify those nuggets of "pure Agee" in the film's script.
"Down there in the deep place... her hair wavin' lazy and soft like meadow grass under flood waters, and that slit in her throat, just like she had an extry mouth."
The film's similes and metaphors seem to be Agee's work, just as the reflections on the inequities of the Depression seem to be sprung from his pen.
"That's right, Preacher. I robbed that bank because I got tired of seein' children roamin' the woodlands without food, children roamin' the highways in this year of Depression, children sleepin' in old abandoned car bodies on junk-heaps; and I promised myself I'd never see the day when my youngins'd want."
"The Night of the Hunter" is a film I can always view again. It is as deep as it is absolutely chilling, and now I can try to spot the "Agee-isms," too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home