Monday, July 04, 2011

Independence Day with the Singing Brakeman

If music is really "COUNTRY," it has some of JIMMIE RODGERS' DNA in it.
"The Father of Country Music," Rodgers was among the first recorded country musicians, and he was an early musical superstar from 1927 until his death from tuberculosis in 1933. Fred Rose, Hank Williams and Rodgers -- "The Singing Brakeman" -- were the first three inductees into the COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME when it was established in 1961 -- that gives you a sense of Rodgers' brilliance, importance and legacy.
"Blue Yodel No. 1 (T for Texas)," "In the Jailhouse Now," "Blue Yodel No. 2 (Lovin' Gal Lucille)," "My Rough and Rowdy Ways" and "Blue Yodel No. 8 (Mule Skinner Blues)" are among the Rodgers classics that became country music standards.
I decided to open INDEPENDENCE DAY by listening to Rodgers, a true American original.
When I hear contemporary country music, I use a simple litmus test for its authenticity. If I can hear a hint of Rodgers (or fellow pioneers THE CARTER FAMILY) in the tune, then I know it's the real thing, and not just pop with twang.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home