Sunday, July 17, 2011

Psychedelic summer heat and humidity

I feel like I have experienced the full flowering of PSYCHEDELIA during this morning's walk.
It wasn't because I listened to "THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST" -- the underrated but truthfully not very psychedelic 1967 album by THE ROLLING STONES -- but was instead due to the mind-bending and forehead-melting HEAT AND HUMIDITY.
Forecasters have warned of the region's worst HEAT WAVE for five years and if the 8:30 a.m. conditions are anything to go by, the weather prognosticators won't be far off in their predictions.
I walked through what felt like tangible waves.
The air temperature of 79 degrees didn't seem bad, until wedded to the 82 percent relative humidity.
As a result, I journeyed through a slightly sweltering haze you could feel.
"Sing This All Together," the brilliantly punk "Citadel" and the Wes Anderson favorite "2000 Man" played on my iPod, producing scenes that seemed off-kilter and slightly dreamlike.
A shirtless old man slowly pirouetted around a field with a metal detector, a glum-faced man painted his white front porch and a swinging yet diminishing ponytail suggested a female jogger far ahead of me while I strode down otherwise deserted sidewalks.
Perhaps I should have carried a water bottle. Perhaps I should have returned early to my air-conditioned home. Perhaps nature displays a far more psychedelic side than music ever could aspire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home