Sunday, July 31, 2011

Let's face facts: I'm a spoiled rotten Giants fan

I was reminded today why last year -- when the SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS won the WORLD SERIES for the first time in my lifetime -- was so special.
As I listened to today's dreary 9-0 loss to the CINCINNATI REDS, it dawned on me that most of my Giants fandom has been as much about suffering as it has been about celebrating.
The club has 19 losing seasons in the 45 years I have been alive, and I didn't really start following the Giants until the early 1970s, after the club began to slide away from its Willie Mays-era high perch. The team have only finished first seven times in my lifetime.
I realize this must seem like unnecessary moaning, particularly to fans of teams that have never reached the top. I also realize this is a "half-empty" way of looking at what is, in fact, a relatively successful franchise.
I guess that's baseball, though. In a sport where the best hitters fail seven out of 10 times at the plate, you can't really expect continuous success.
Except I seem to expect it, now that the Giants have won a World Series. Is it fair to the team that I hold them to an elevated standard, after only one championship success? Hmm... Seems to me I remember feeling a similar unrealistic sense of entitlement in the 1980s... isn't that right, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home