Thursday, December 16, 2010

Summer inside

Only the sounds of the snowplows rumbling outside the window reminded me of the SNOW and COLD last night.
The sounds on my Internet radio all shouted: "SUMMER!"

I listened to the commentators on ABC Grandstand as AUSTRALIA (268 all out) struggled against ENGLAND (29-0) on day one of the THIRD ASHES TEST at PERTH.

Western Australia's distant time zone and failure to follow daylight saving time meant the match started at 8:30 p.m. in Dubuque, so I could only listen for a couple hours.

They were a memorable couple of hours, as England's bowlers -- including newly recalled paceman (think: fastball pitcher) Chris Tremlett -- took five wickets for only 69 runs scored.

Australia's middle-order batsmen scored enough to spare the hosts from humiliation, but England clearly appear to be in the ascendancy in this series between the ancient cricket rivals.

As it snowed an indeterminate amount outside my window, my mind focused on sunshine, palm trees and men in white hitting a little red ball.

That's what cricket can do for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home