Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I'll cheer for the past's grand champions

I'll be sipping coffee Saturday night.
I want to stay up into the wee hours of Sunday, so I can listen to the NATIONAL RUGBY LEAGUE GRAND FINAL live online.

I'll be barracking (rooting) for the ST. GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS against the SYDNEY ROOSTERS, because the Dragons have spent more time between titles than their opponents.

A result of a 1998 merger of the St. George and Illawarra clubs, the Dragons have yet to win a title as a joint venture.

The St. George Dragons were once the dominant club in the history of the sport, winning 11 straight titles between 1956-66. Imagine an NFL team winning 11 straight Super Bowls. It boggles the mind, but that's how good the Dragons were in AUSTRALIA.

The Dragons' final title came in 1979 (pictured), when Harry Bath-coached St. George outplayed CANTERBURY, 17-2, in the first half and held on for a 17-13 victory.

The Roosters won the title as recently as 2002, so I'll cheer for "The Red V" in the predawn hours this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home