Monday, September 20, 2010

A magical Mick Taylor moment

I just heard what must rank among my top one of two "guitar moments" in a ROLLING STONES song.
I'm listening to "STICKY FINGERS" while driving today, and as I returned from an assignment I heard "CAN'T YOU HEAR ME KNOCKING," the fourth track on the 1971 classic album.
The song's extended coda -- or ending -- features a MICK TAYLOR guitar solo that Rolling Stone magazine once ranked No. 25 on a list of 100 great solos.
I heard it just now and thought: Taylor's playing rivals Carlos Santana.Taylor's guitar playing is simply beautiful on the track.
No offense to fans of the 1960s-era Stones, but I just don't think the late lead guitarist Brian Jones could have pulled off the masterpiece Taylor produces on "Can't You Hear Me Knocking."
If you think you know the Rolling Stones and all they have to offer, and you *haven't* heard Taylor's playing on "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," then there's a gap in your education.