Friday, July 02, 2010

Say kids, what time is it? It's Friday Question time!

Ever notice how one song always seems to trigger a wave of nostalgia?
So do these ROUTE 1 readers answering this week's FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What song makes you nostalgic and why?"
RICK T. -- The songs, "A Fallen Star" and "Gonna Find Ya". They use to play those songs during the races at the old Dubuque Sports Bowl (where the dog track is now). Everytime I hear them I go back to the 1950's early 60's. GOD I miss that old race track! I was one of the last to drive on it when I was 17 years old.
BEKAH P. -- "In the Summertime" by Mungo Jerry. Each and every time I hear it, I remember it being the middle of this terrible Iowa winter. My four siblings and I were getting ready to go sledding, and this song came over the oldies radio, and we giggled and giggled and giggled. It's strange how growing up changes people. This song makes me nostalgic for simpler times, when we kids were able to just giggle for hours over some slight irony.
JEFF T. -- "Big City" by Merle Haggard makes me think of Montana... Good times!
SANDYE V. -- "Pomp and Circumstance" always makes me weepy, even if I don't know the people graduating. It's about time passing, kids growing up (or never growing up), me growing old.... WaaaWaaaaa!
KERI M. -- Any New Kids On The Block song because they were my boy band.
ERIK H. -- One day this week the weather perfectly matched the music playing on the car stereo.
Skies were clear, temperatures were in the mid-70s and Iowa 's summer humidity was noticeably absent.
"Hanging Out in California " and "Seven Summers" by SoCal Chicano rockers Cruzados blared from the speakers and it seemed like I had been transported back to the 1980s, driving around beautiful northern California . I was actually driving the car to get an oil change, but the moment felt magical.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home