Sunday, March 07, 2010

Shakin' my rump for 24 years

There were more AUTHENTIC OLD SCHOOL options, even back in 1986, but that doesn't diminish the musical impact it had on me.
"RAP IT UP" was a K-TEL INTERNATIONAL cassette that I played incessantly in college.

Is it all truly "hip hop?" Perhaps not.

The compilation opens with Bay Area legends Timex Social Club and their one-hit wonder, "Rumors." That's more R&B than hip hop.

Is it enjoyable? Hell yeah. Joeski Love's brilliant "Pee-Wee's Dance" is on there!

I came as close as I possibly could last night to duplicating the "Rap it Up" compilation in iTunes playlist form.

Here is the original track listing that I followed:
(Side One)
1. Timex Social Club - "Rumors"

2. Run-DMC - "Can You Rock it Like This"
3. Full Force - "Alice, I Want You Just For Me"
4. Kurtis Blow - "If I Ruled the World"

(Side Two)

1. Joeski Love - "Pee-Wee's Dance"
2. The Fat Boys - "Sex Machine"
3. The Beastie Boys - "Slow & Low"
*4. Timex Social Club - "Vicious Rumors"
* I had all but one of those songs on iTunes. I couldn't find that last track for my playlist, so I added a few other favorite songs from the period instead:
4. Kool Moe Dee - "Wild Wild West"

5. Doug E. Fresh - "The Show"
6. Doug E. Fresh - "La Di Da Di"
7. Slick Rick - "Children's Story"
8. Kid 'N Play - "Gittin' Funky"

As you can see, the compilation (and the additional songs) won't fool anyone into thinking you're a hardcore O.G. Also, trainspotting hip-hop followers will note with disdain that "Wild Wild West" came out in 1988, two years after my compilation.

I didn't put this playlist together as a historical document. These songs will get you shaking your rump -- that's why I put it together. They've been getting me to "get on up" for 24 years!

2 Comments:

Blogger Machiventa said...

I had that same tape when it came out! That was the first time I heard The Beastie Boys, Slow And Low blew my mind. I ended up losing it like a month later and went to buy it again and couldn't find the same tape so I settled for Rap's Greatest Hits which I think was also a K-Tel album. I remember it had a similar tracklisting but didn't have Beastie Boys, and it had Howie's Teed Off. Great memories.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Machiventa said...

Yep, here it is: http://www.discogs.com/Various-Raps-Greatest-Hits/release/315880 - even better tracklist! If it had Slow And Low it would've been one of the best comps of all time!!

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home