Thursday, March 04, 2010

Powered by Coldcut

Matt Black was a computer programmer and Jonathan More was a former art teacher when the pair decided to unleash their music-mixing talents on the world in 1986.
At the beginning of the next year, "SAY KIDS, WHAT TIME IS IT" marked the recording debut of the pair, forever known as COLDCUT.

I battled Stepmill and the stationary bike at the DUBUQUE COMMUNITY Y last night, powered by the music of Coldcut.

I have loved their rampant sampling techniques since 1987, when I first heard their "SEVEN MINUTES OF MADNESS" mix of "PAID IN FULL" by rappers ERIC B. & RAKIM.

Coldcut combine anything you can imagine to make music -- from Israeli singers to cartoon themes, from Led Zeppelin to reggae.

Unfortunately, less-talented samplers have used their pioneering techniques to lesser effect throughout the years.
The originals remain the best, I thought, as I urged my tired legs onward last night at the Y.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home