Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Looks like Wooster, speaks like House

My mind reeled from an odd juxtaposition last night.
Jill was watching "HOUSE" on television, while I read some of "THE CODE OF THE WOOSTERS" by P.G. WODEHOUSE -- a novel-length tale of empty headed English gentleman Bertie Wooster and his all-knowing valet, Jeeves.

Astute readers can see where I am going, right?

Every time I glanced up at the TV and glimpsed HUGH LAURIE, my mind flashed back to seeing him portray Bertie Wooster on public television in the early 1990s.

Laurie's work in "JEEVES AND WOOSTER" -- in which he starred alongside STEPHEN FRY -- marked the first time many Americans had seen him.

The pair left an indelible impression on me, and I still can't read Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster tales without picturing Laurie and Fry as the main characters.

That's what made last night so puzzling. I would glance up at an older "Wooster" on the screen, but hear him speak in Laurie's uncanny American accent as "House."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home