Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Three things I learned about "L.A. Confidential"

Nothing brings out the FILM GEEK in me quite like the opportunity to watch one of my favorite movies on DVD accompanied by the AUDIO COMMENTARY.
I love hearing the behind-the-scenes tales of the film, including the casting process, production design challenges and hidden moments you rarely see in the cinema.

Last night, I enjoyed the audio commentary experience with the 1997 Curtis Hanson film "L.A. CONFIDENTIAL."

Here are three things I learned about the film:

1. GUY PEARCE worried filmmakers wouldn't give him the nod to play Ed Exley because of his previous portrayal of a drag queen in the memorable Australian film, "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert."

2. A woman once teased JAMES CROMWELL (Dudley Smith in the film) because his wonderful Irish accent was such a hodgepodge -- a word from Galway, a phrase from Dublin, an inflection from Cork, etc.

3. RUSSELL CROWE, the then-unknown-to-Americans actor chosen to play Bud White, bonded with director Hanson over mutual love of movies and music.

I stayed up longer than I had intended last night, but watching and learning about "L.A. Confidential" made it all worthwhile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home