Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Back to the Old School with Master Don

"GET OFF MY TIP" by THE MASTERDON COMMITTEE was playing on iTunes last night when I realized just how "OLD SCHOOL" I really am.
Fronted by Donnell (MASTER DON) Martin, The Masterdon Committee were one of the pioneering HIP-HOP groups, coming from 147th Street in Harlem.

After a couple trail-blazing hits in NEW YORK CITY, The Masterdon Committee released "Get Off My Tip" on Profile Records in 1985.

The song chronicles a blazing row between a guy and his girl, with him memorably complaining that she made "a meatloaf that tasted like clay."

Female rapper PEBBLY POO then declares her ambitions, compared to his:

"You're a 20-dollar nigga in a 50-dollar world with a 100-dollar habit, I'm a million-dollar girl."

I enjoyed hearing the song back in the day -- it was included on "MR. MAGIC'S RAP ATTACK, VOL. 2," one of my favorite cassette tapes.

Cassette tapes? See, I told you I was old school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home