Saturday, January 23, 2010

Smiths, Pixies, Joy Division punctuate our film night

You can't go wrong with a film about fans of THE SMITHS.
That's what I thought last night, as we watched the film "(500) DAYS OF SUMMER" on pay per view.

The film, a nonlinear narrative look at a failed romance, stars JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT as Tom and ZOOEY DESCHANEL as Summer, greeting card company employees and fans of The Smiths who strike up a conversation in an elevator when Summer recognizes the song playing through Tom's headphones -- "There is a Light That Never Goes Out."

I liked Tom's character even more when he sings "Here Comes Your Man" by PIXIES at karaoke and later wears the "Unknown Pleasures" T-shirt for JOY DIVISION.

Any film with a Joy Division reference is A-OK in my book ("DONNIE DARKO" comes to mind).

Director MARC WEBB'S nonlinear storytelling style is interesting, the characters have chemistry, and "(500) Days of Summer" had something for everyone in our household -- Jill and Annika loved the romantic comedy plot, Kerstin received a Matthew Gray Gubler fix (her celebrity crush who doesn't sparkle when the sunlight hits him) and I could play spot-the-alternative-song.

1 Comments:

Blogger inger said...

I watched that movie just last weekend. I liked it while I was watching it - love both of those actors and the music too, but thinking about it later I found it oddly disappointing and flat. Still not sure why.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home