Friday, January 22, 2010

Readers' recent listening habits revealed!

Last night, I drove back from an out-of-town assignment on an ice-slickened rural highway.
Rather than become consumed by worry, I simply slowed down and turned up The Kinks.
I made it back to the office in a fine frame of mind.
That's one example of the benefits of listening (unless, of course, I had paid so much attention to the song that I had left the icy roadway and landed in a ditch).

ROUTE 1 readers provide some more memorable listening experiences by answering this week's FRIDAY QUESTION:

"What have you enjoyed listening to lately?
"
RICK T. -- Typing in old Country songs on YouTube and listening to them play. Love it!

SASKIA M. -- I've been listening to Regina Spektor a lot lately. The song "Eet" from her "Far" album is currently my favorite song.

STEVE M. -- Cedar Walton's most recent because I saw that quartet at the Village Vanguard in N.Y.C.

KERSTIN H. -- A lot of random things.

JOHN S. -- My new iPod.

MICHAEL M. -- I'm enjoying the digital audio edition of "Game Change" by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin. I am disappointed, though, by these "search inside this book" results from Amazon.com: 103 results for 'iowa'; 24 results for 'des moines'; 5 results for 'cedar rapids'; 2 results for 'iowa city'; 2 results for 'waterloo'; and 0 results for 'dubuque'. Seems like a missed opportunity for Dubuque since candidates spent tens of millions of dollars in our state during a historic campaign that will be discussed for years to come.
MIKE D. -- My 4-year-old son singing with the rest of his preschool classmates at the Sunday church service.
BEKAH P. -- I go to Pandora Radio online and then listen to the Regina Spektor station. That gets me a listening experience that includes everything from Feist to Billie Holiday.

MARY N.-P. -- My husband's new full set of re-mastered Beatles CDs (which he plays pretty much non-stop, smiling broadly!)

BRIAN C. -- The soundtrack from a movie I have not seen, "Across the Universe," featuring interesting covers of Beatles songs.

KERI M. -- Josh Groban.

LISA Y. -- My boss made a CD of songs that our staff submitted to him. The songs could be favorites, someone's story, a memory, or whatever. It's a huge variety of music....very fun!
ERIK H. -- As you might have gathered from the introduction, I have been on a bit of a Kinks bender since returning from London. The Kinks seem the most "Londonesque" of the three big London bands of the British Invasion period -- including The Rolling Stones and The Who. My favorite Kinks song changes every day, but the song currently topping my "Kinks Chart" is the multiple-movement epic, "Shangri-La." Dave Davies says this song is his favorite composed by his brother Ray (Kinks singer/songwriter Ray Davies), and I tend to agree with him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home