Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Make that 3 skins and 1 suedehead

"THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE 4 SKINS" was one of the first punk albums I purchased at the store that fueled my love of music back in my high school years -- the TOWER RECORDS at CHRISTOWN MALL in PHOENIX, ARIZ.
The 4-Skins are a working class OI! punk rock band from London's East End.
They formed in 1979, disbanded in 1984, and returned with an altered line-up in 2007
Back in 1982, I didn't know much about anything, let alone SKINHEADS.
I knew I detested the racism that gripped some of the skins, and I knew the 4 Skins distanced themselves from those views.
The music on this album was classic Oi! -- hard-driving punk in a rather simplistic (some might call it "mindless") style.
I did not know the difference between skinheads and SUEDEHEADS, but I could tell that 4 Skins bassist
HOXTON TOM McCOURT sported longer hair than the rest of the band. (Although sharing many similarities to 1960s skinheads, suedeheads grew their hair longer and dressed in a more formal manner. They shared the skinheads' interest in reggae, soul music and ska, but focused on the slower and more soulful tunes.) McCourt eventually became a leading figure in the British mod revival.
I listened to "The Good, The Bad & The 4 Skins" while walking on the treadmill this morning.
Hearing such songs as "Sorry," "Evil," "Plastic Gangsters," and "A.C.A.B. (All Coppers Are Bastards)" reminded me of my high school years, and how my love of music has evolved since those days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home