Tuesday, March 03, 2009

A nostalgic Celebration today

Forgive me for waxing nostalgic today.
I used a recent iTunes card to create a playlist that mirrors one of my favorite LPs.
Arista Records released "CELEBRATION" by SIMPLE MINDS in 1982.
The compilation boasted tracks from the Glasgow band's first three albums -- 1979's "Life in a Day" and "Reel to Real Cacophony" and 1980's "Empires and Dance."
Songs such as "Changeling," "Chelsea Girl" and "I Travel" influenced me greatly during my high school years, and I eventually purchased all three of Simple Minds' first three albums.
Simple Minds' early career interests me much more than the band's later success.
The band sold many more records after its commercial breakthrough, "Don't You (Forget About Me)," but the music is far less adventurous than the post-punk dance-oriented tracks on "Celebration."
"Celebration" remained out of print for an extended period of time in the United States, so I never purchased the compilation on CD.
I am doubly pleased, then, to have found it again in the digital age.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home