Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I feel real loose, like a long-necked goose!

One of my current occupational hazards is the risk of having "CHANTILLY LACE" stuck in my head.
I am writing a story about the 50th anniversary of "THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED," the 1959 plane crash that claimed the lives of pilot Roger Peterson and music stars Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. RICHARDSON, a.k.a. "THE BIG BOPPER."
Most of the people I have interviewed lament the passing and speculate on the musical legacies of Holly and Valens.
Fair enough, I suppose, but spare a thought for The Big Bopper.
"Chantilly Lace" is obviously a novelty, but Richardson showed the markings of a writer of a clutch of catchy songs -- notably "WHITE LIGHTNING" by George Jones.
I don't imagine Richardson would have sustained a lengthy singing career had he stayed on the frozen tour bus instead of the ill-fated plane. However, at the age of only 29, I think he had the potential to write songs that surpass odes to pony-tailed girls on the other end of the telephone line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home