Monday, October 20, 2008

"Entriggering traps for a gross gang of ghost types"

KERSTIN, OUTSIDE POTTY CHALLENGED PUPPY RORY and I just caught a glimpse of the NEIGHBORHOOD SKUNK as we set out for our morning walk.
Seeing the skunk was enough of a fright to make us change our route, make Rory flinch at leaves and make me choose to listen to THE BIRTHDAY PARTY on my iPod.
The Birthday Party's music was like the flicker of fear you get when a skunk crosses your path in the eerie hours before dawn. The band never made much money during its 1977-83 existence, but it surely inspired many other bands to perform dark, challenging music.
Guitarist Rowland S. Howard often seems to be playing a different song than the rest of the band, and vocalist Nick Cave's WILD-EYED BARITONE HOWLING seems more suited for the graveyard than the concert hall or recording studio.
"Fog fished and filtered is filling my case book, of friends who fall foul of my files trip and break neck are stacked in the woodshed for further good use. There's some certain people who shouldn't start fires. So call me Dim! I am the Dim Locator! Dim Locator!"
The Birthday Party song "The Dim Locator" seemed a perfect soundtrack for a spooky, skunk-influenced walk in the dark.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home