Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Who's contribution to perfect pop

I should have been in the worst of moods.
After a work day spent writing a pair of newspaper stories and the prospect of working again today, I came home last night and had to clean a kitchen left in a state of depressed disarray after the departure of my visiting mom and stepdad.
So, why was I smiling? Give credit to a song recorded in London back in October 1966.
"La la la la la la la la! La la la la la la la la!"
I listened to "SO SAD ABOUT US" by THE WHO while cleaning the kitchen.
"So saaaaad 'bout us, So saaaaaad 'bout us. Sad, that the news is out now. Sad, s'pose we can't turn back now. Saaaaaaaad 'bout us."
PETE TOWNSHEND has written more famous songs, more songs that show up on those "Best of" compilations.
This song remains my favorite Who track, however, because it seems the closest Townshend has come to writing the PERFECT POP SONG.
Townshend actually wrote the song for THE MERSEYS (the successor group to The Merseybeats, of "I Think of You" fame.
"So Sad About Us" was The Mersey's 1966 follow up single to "Sorrow."

The Who included the song on their second album, "A QUICK ONE," but did not release it as a single.
Other people have held the song in high esteem: THE JAM covered the song in 1978, using it as the B-side to "Down in the Tube Station at Midnight."
I was singing along while cleaning the kitchen last night, and it quickly dissolved any lingering effects of my less-than-stellar mood.
"Apologies mean nothing when the damage is done. But I can't switch off my lovin' like you can't switch off the sun."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home