Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I didn't believe what I just saw, either

Twenty years ago today, it was unusually hot in SEBASTOPOL, CALIF., with the high temperature topping out at 91 degrees.
I was a BLISSFULLY UNEMPLOYED RECENT COLLEGE GRADUATE, so I could spend the day with my sister, visiting Santa Rosa.
The day's big sports news could have been my purchase of a new NERF BASKETBALL for my bedroom hoop.
Then, KIRK GIBSON entered the frame.
It was 20 years ago today that hobbling Gibson of the DODGERS faced DENNIS ECKERSLEY of the ATHLETICS with two outs and Mike Davis on the bases in the bottom of the ninth inning of Game 1 of the WORLD SERIES.
I watched on CBS as Jack Buck made the call of Gibson's mighty clout:
"Gibson swings, and a fly ball to deep right field! This is gonna be a home run! Unbelievable! A home run for Gibson! And the Dodgers have won the game, 5 to 4. I don't believe what I just saw!"
I didn't believe it, either, and five minutes later a baseball fan friend of mine called me. He didn't believe it, either.
It was surely one of the most memorable moments in baseball's long history.
MEANWHILE...
Pause today to think of NEAL HEFTI. The American composer of "The Batman Theme" and other memorable works died recently, age 85.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home