Sunday, October 05, 2008

Bizarre, stomping lunacy: An appreciation

Good thing I love animals.
With the rest of the ROUTE 1 staff either sleeping over at a friend's house or camping in Wisconsin, I was alone with the puppy and both cats overnight. As I tried to sleep, I had the puppy wedged between my feet. The white cat sat purring (loudly) at my head, while the insomniac black cat shifted uneasily on top of my rib cage.
Thanks to the menagerie, today I am wearily peering at the rain through red-streaked and heavy lidded eyes.
But at least I can enjoy T.REX!
I am sipping coffee and repeatedly tossing a dog's chew toy this morning while listening to the underrated 1974 album "BOLAN'S ZIP GUN" -- a critically panned album that MELODY MAKER reviewer Chris Welch famously described as "bizarre, stomping lunacy."
MARK PAYTRESS, in his MARC BOLAN biography, "BOLAN: THE RISE AND FALL OF A 20th CENTURY SUPERSTAR," calls the album "a fabulously flawed sonic crystal ball" and makes the case that once again, T.Rex were far ahead of their time, perhaps too far for a once-adoring public to appreciate.
"At its best, 'Bolan's Zip Gun' made a virtue of trance-like repetition years before late 70s industrial music and early 80s hip hop paved the way for the entire dance music explosion," Paytress writes.
Paytress calls "Bolan's Zip Gun:" "the most controversial, commercially bankrupt and creatively misunderstood album in Marc Bolan's career."
Bolan would be dead in a car crash three years after the album's release, so the record-buying public never had a chance to catch up with him in his lifetime.
I am glad I discovered the joys of "Bolan's Zip Gun." No matter how much I love animals, I needed a healthy dose of "bizarre, stomping lunacy" after last night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home