Sunday, September 14, 2008

Would you believe FIVE new grey hairs?

Would you believe me if I told you that watching MY BELOVED OREGON DUCKS slip past PURDUE, 32-26, in double overtime yesterday gave me seven new grey hairs?
No? Would you believe *SIX* grey hairs?
You would find that hard to believe? How about two gritted teeth?
Please forgive me. I celebrated my 10th ANNIVERSARY at the TELEGRAPH HERALD this week by purchasing the first season (1965-66) of "GET SMART" on DVD, and now the entire family is talking like MAXWELL SMART... and *LOVING* it!
Actually, the myriad mistakes made by the Ducks against the Boilermakers reminded me of Agent 86 and his persistent bungling. Substitute Oregon for CONTROL and Purdue for KAOS, and I think I know how the Chief felt all those years.
"Sorry about that, Chief."
Yesterday, Oregon came back from a 20-3 deficit but had to rely on the Boilermakers missing a 44-yard field goal at the end of regulation to force the game into overtime.
Purdue also missed a 47-yard field goal attempt in overtime.
Missed it by *THAT* much!
LeGarrette Blount, who had 12 carries for 132 yards rushing for the Ducks, ran the ball in from three yards for the winning score.
Of course, with MY BELOVED OREGON DUCKS, every silver lining seems to have a cloud, and yesterday was no exception. Starting quarterback JUSTIN ROPER (who is really the second-string quarterback, who was the fifth-string signal caller last year -- got that Max?) injured his knee in overtime. Roper could miss the next month.
Sigh...
MAX: "Ninety-nine, this ship is a freighter, right?
99: "Right, Max."
MAX: "And freighters run on fuel oil, right?
99: "Right again, Max."
MAX: "And wooden masts belong on sailboats, correct?
99: "Exactly."
MAX: "And this is a wooden mast."
99: "Go on, Max."
MAX: "Ninety-nine..."
99: "Yes?"
MAX: "I forgot where I started."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home