Tuesday, April 08, 2008

"Nepal?" "Just north of India." "Asia!"

We're sitting around the kitchen table, listening to CATHERINE WHEEL while I help KERSTIN with her geography homework.
I consider Catherine Wheel one of the most underrated bands from the 1990s. They were labeled as "shoegazers," and when shoegazing fell out of favor, apparently so did Catherine Wheel.
I love their 1991 single "Black Metallic." It gained significant airplay on "modern rock radio" back when there was such a thing, and the song would stick in my head for days after I heard it.
Catherine Wheel is providing a fun soundtrack for geography homework, in which 12-year-old Kerstin must place countries within their proper continent. I am mostly steering Kerstin from her guesses to the correct answer.
Kerstin: "Peru... is in Europe!"
Me
: "When did they move?"
Kerstin: "They're not in Europe? Asia?"
Me: "They speak Spanish there."
Kerstin: "South America!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home