Thursday, April 03, 2008

Shoegazing at dawn

White cat Mika just dumped a glass of water on Kerstin, waking her up.
I woke up in a much more pleasant fashion. After stumbling out of bed, I poured myself a cup of coffee, dialed up
"NOWHERE" by RIDE on iTunes and watched the sunrise.
Andy Bell, Mark Gardner, Loz Colbert and Steve Queralt defined the SHOEGAZING sound -- guitars awash in effects -- during the early 1990s. I played my cassette of their album "GOING BLANK AGAIN" so much it broke (a common occurrence for a music obsessive such as me).
In retrospect, I think the Oxford band's debut LP "NOWHERE" is the better album.
The distinctive shoegazing elements -- the droning vocals nearly lost in the echoing, distorted guitar sounds fresh. This album appeared before dozens of lesser bands took up the shoegazing cause, diluting the scene.
Classic tune "VAPOUR TRAIL" is playing right now.
The cats are running around the house. Apparently Mika dumping the water has triggered some sort of feline frenzy.
I'm going to put my headphones on again and listen to more Ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home