Sunday, April 13, 2008

Champions de 24 Coupes Stanley

My late father was always a huge fan of LES CANADIENS DE MONTRÉAL.
I thought about him last night, while watching a thrilling playoff victory for "Les Habitants" on television.
Alex Kovalev scored 2:30 into overtime to give the Canadiens a 3-2 win over the Boston Bruins.
I remember my dad loving the Habs for the style they played: Traditionally, a great skating, flowing style that avoided some of the no-brained thuggery of the other teams in the NHL.
My dad revered JEAN BELIVEAU, but also spoke highly of "BOOM BOOM" GEOFFRION and HENRI "POCKET ROCKET" RICHARD.
The latest Montréal team seems like one of the most promising in many seasons, with Kovalev, the Kostitsyn brothers (Andrei and Sergei) and the brilliant young goaltender Carey Price.
Brilliant young goaltender? Hmm... Ken Dryden? Patrick Roy?
"Le Bleu-Blanc-et-Rouge" always seem to do something magical with a brilliant young goaltender!

1 Comments:

Blogger Everyday Matheson said...

My Dad grew up with and is very good friends with a man whose son played for the Canadiens. Brian Skrudland.

How did the Canadian snacking go?

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home