Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Sloan and the GIANT peach

I can't decide which is tastier -- the GIANT PEACH I just devoured as part of my breakfast, or "Who Taught You to Live Like That," the first single from the 2006 album "Never Hear the End of It" by SLOAN.
MAKING THE CASE FOR THE PEACH:
It was big. It was so juicy, I had to place a paper plate directly under my chin so I wouldn't get peach juice all over my "work clothes." The pit popped out quite easily. I still remember the taste of the peach, even though I was finished with it about 16 minutes ago.
MAKING THE CASE FOR THE SLOAN SINGLE:
It rules. It sounds like a GLAM single out of Britain in the mid-1970s. It just merrily stomps along. I can never figure out why Sloan aren't more popular in America. I know they will never be as big as they are in their native Canada, but my gosh -- they are so consistently catchy and diverse. Because they rely on four distinct singer/songwriters, Sloan can sound "rock," "power pop" and "indie" within the course of a single album.
As an added bonus, guitarist/singer Patrick Pentland's haircut completely changes with every music video (search for Sloan on YouTube and you will see what I mean).
THE VERDICT:
I give a slight edge to the Sloan song, if only because I have it on my iPod and I can listen to it for the rest of the day, while that GIANT peach is now long gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home