Monday, April 09, 2007

"What's black and white and read all over?"

I have spent nine years at my current newspaper, about nine months or so at my previous newspaper and about five-and-a-half years at my newspaper before that one.
That's more than 15 years in the newspaper business. My, how time flies when you're covering rock, paper, scissors competitions and county board of supervisors' work sessions. I am currently studying notes on teaching the rest of the reporters our new editorial "front-end" computer system.
I had to laugh to myself, then, when my 8-year-old daughter Annika asked me the following riddle as I tucked her into bed tonight:
Annika: "What is black and white and read all over?"
Me: "Um... I don't know."
Annika: "A newspaper!"
Me: "Oh, that's a good one..."
Annika: "... because the words are black and the pages are white, and it is read, not red like the color, but read like reading."
I acted like I had never heard that oldie but goodie before, and I suppose, given the unbridled enthusiasm Annika showed in telling (and then explaining) this riddle, perhaps I never really have heard it before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home