Saturday, March 31, 2007

"Standin' on the corner all day, watchin' all the foxes go by"

I work the late shift, so this morning I watched soccer on TV (hobbling Ian Pearce shook off a sprained foot to score Fulham's equaliser as the hosts drew 1-1 with Portsmouth) and listened to some excellent Phoenix, Ariz. soul while walking on the treadmill.
Surely one of the classic tunes to come out of the Valley of the Sun (where I spent my high-school years) is "Standing on the Corner."
Written by ace producer Mighty Mike Lenaburg, this 1967 lost classic is sung by Michael Liggins.
Liggins is a Phoenix musical legend who deserves greater recognition. He played a wicked saxophone, first with the Soul Patrol and later fronting the Super Souls (pictured).
With the Super Souls, he recorded yet another lost classic, "Loaded to the Gills" from 1969. "Loaded" is such a cherished gem for FUNK FREAKS that it appears on two compilations I own -- "Eccentric Soul: Mighty Mike Lenaburg" from Numero Group records and "Cold Heat: Heavy Funk Rarities, Vol. 1" from Now-Again Records.
I'll be driving around a fair bit for work on this cloudy, dreary day. I'll brighten up things with some Michael Liggins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home