Sunday, March 25, 2007

Pittsburgh meets Philadelphia

My BELOVED OREGON DUCKS battled hard but fell just short against the Florida Gators in NCAA action today, 85-77.
When not watching basketball today, I have been listening to the great 1958 album "Moanin'" by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers.
Pittsburgh's legendary drummer Blakey led a succession of bands called the Jazz Messengers, each featuring a number of absolutely stellar sidemen.
Jazz Messenger alumni include the likes of Freddie Hubbard, Wayne Shorter, Keith Jarrett, Branford Marsalis, Wynton Marsalis and Jackie McLean.
The sidemen on "Moanin'" are all from Philadelphia: trumpeter Lee Morgan, tenor sax player Benny Golson, pianist Bobby Timmons and bassist Jymie Merritt.
They really swing.
Golson wrote most of the material, and his status as a composer would eventually eclipse that of his playing.
I love hearing Morgan. He is my favorite trumpeter and on the title track and "Blues March" he is particularly memorable.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Cooper said...

My condolences on Oregon's loss. I was pulling for an upset over Florida.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home