Sunday, April 08, 2007

Groovin' with Green, all the way home

We returned from our EASTER WEEKEND in central Iowa this evening.
I had purchased a couple of FINE CDs Saturday in Des Moines, and we listened to them en route home.
GRANT GREEN'S "GRANTSTAND," from 1961, is absolutely fabulous.
Green only garners about three paragraphs in "The Rough Guide to Jazz," which is a shame. He might not have blazed as many musical trails as some other musicians, but he is easily one of my FAVORITE GUITARISTS.
Jazz luminaries Yusef Lateef (tenor sax and flute), Al Harewood (drums) and my man BROTHER JACK McDUFF (organ) give Green support on "Grantstand." It's the type of music I could hear all day, every day.
The other CD I purchased Saturday was JIMMY SMITH'S "MIDNIGHT SPECIAL."
I already have "The Sermon" and "Back at the Chicken Shack," and I am a HUGE JIMMY SMITH fan.
He is a fabulous organist. Here, though, tenor saxman Stanley Turrentine nearly steals the show. Nearly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home